global credit union of paradox

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Minimalism at its best (and not quite best)

Notice I didn't say (and worse), that's beacuse I am on the fence with my first example. Almost a year ago, I heard about a film written, directed, (partially) filmed, edited by and acted in by Vincent Gallo called "The Brown Bunny". There was a huge contoversy when it first surfaced due a scene where real live oral sex being performed on Vincent by none other than the doomed blonde cutie from KIDS, Chloe Sevigny. Needless to say, I put it in my Netflix queue months ago, forgot about it, and it unexpectdly just showed up this weekend while I was out of town.

Great acting. Cool Story. Only this particular pelicula was primarily an hour of Vincent's character driving his van west and nothing else happening other than the highway rolling by. I understand that the movie centers around a road trip, but the whole thing only lasted 90 minutes and two thirds is tuneless, diaglogless film. The movie ended up being very climactic (I won't tell you how or why in case you still want to see it), but I had to find something to read for the middle of the movie. I think the credits listed 7 crew, 6 cast, and 5 songs which added up together make up the entire number of lines exchanged in the movie. For some strange reason, I didn't hate it, but it was way to minimalistic.

On the other hand; I'm all but in love with Regina Spektor right now. Born in Moscow and now living in NYC, she's a musician who I've just discovered for the first time. With Regina singing, playing the piano, and not much else making up the minimal arangements on the album I got, this is complex simplicity at its best. Besides her playing the keys and singing, there is a song or two with some strings, two more with preccussion (maybe the same two), and one that I would call some sort of punk. This is hardly the variety of music I listen to often so it's hard for me to discribe, but I can't get enough of it lately. Super passionate, intelligent, and witty (or quirky?); this is some great music. Bear with me if you already heard of her (beacuse you're better than me anyway) and this is old news to you; check out her site and have a look and a listen. If you want to start where I did, pick up Sioviet Kitsch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home