global credit union of paradox

Friday, June 24, 2005

What, no Jelly?

Went to a Stones Throw Records show last night. Killer line-up for any hip-hop fan who doesn't own Nelly albums...Peanut Butter Wolf, J-Rocc, Med, and Madlib (read more about him here and check the comments). Problems began when the warm up DJ didn't get off the tables until after 11pm. This opener, whose name I did not catch, laid out some underground and indy recs, intermingled with lots of classic hip hop. Great job, he even juggled a bunch of doubles, and that can be very difficult to do when you are not on your own, familiar set up. He gave way to Peanut Butter Wolf who threw down a very tight set.


Super eclectic...From bay area favorites (kids flipped on Too Short), to classic obscurities (great, but not oft heard), other hip-hop favorites, and even a short journey into some old school Latin tracks. Gave me the urge to cha-cha, and I don't even know how to do that dance. At one point he was playing a one-off version of "The Girl from Ipanema", he kind of sung along over the first bit of the song and dropped a hip-hop beat in halfway through and made it bump. I also heard what sounded like a Cuban cover of Stevie Wonder's "Pastime Paradise". I loved it, it's hard to do Stevie's music justice. I'll have figure out who performs that one.


Now we've crossed the midnight threshold and J-Rocc can be seen drifting about the stage trying to plug various equipment in. From what I later heard PBW say on the mic, J-Rocc had said to him, "you play one more record" and proceeded to disappear for the next twenty or so minutes. As happy as I was to enjoy the Wolf, time is waning and we have at least three more artists to get through. I should have known better; they flyer said that the venue was open until 4am. I went on the hope that it would be one of those wham, bam, thank you ma'am shows where they use a filler DJ to fill the 2 to 4 slot, because I had to work this morning. Apparently, it wasn't.


To cut a short story shorter, my date and I were beat and decided to sacrifice the rest of the show for the sake of being human beings at work on Friday morning. I'm sorry I missed the rest; I am a fan of all of those artists and I really wanted to know if Madlib would perform any Quasimoto tracks. I may never know...

2 Comments:

  • I'm bummed that you didn't get to see/hear Madlib's set. Thanks to you I've discovered all of the cool things that guy has been up to. I feel for you in the crushing reality that the real world has. If we all could just be lottery winners. Of course you know what that could lead to...things such as a massive concrete skatepark and top-end recording studio (not to mention the video editing and photo manipulation powers)

    You are the one that showed me the secret to Stevie Wonder is really "The Secret Life of Plants". I hope you are still working that into your sets. At this point (as drunk as I am), we both know that plants are the source of it all. Anyway, I'm glad you had the experience and someday I hope to show up on your doorstep on a good weekend.

    By Blogger surly monkey, at 1:44 AM  

  • Dj Paranormal in the house. To bad you had to leave early for drawls and z's. 9 2 5er........ Soon enough my good blogger. Soon enough. C U dis weekend.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home